Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Chemo: Day 2

Hi there! I'm still here, fret not. I haven't been much in the mood for writing, and still am not really, but figured I owe it to the people. We've got smiles on our faces most days, hanging in there. As far as updates, I'll keep it to a few.

Firstly, I wanted to mention my mother's amazing friends. They have donated a pretty penny to me to assist with my financial needs, and it is very humbling. They started a non-profit fund called Friends of Jen and have really spread the word around. They held an Applebee's night for fundraising. We also joined in the festivities and I was the celebrity of the evening. Anyway, I don't know how to say thank you beyond just those words. So, thank you all for everything you are doing.

I was supposed to start chemo last Thursday, but I went with my gut feeling and didn't start for a number of reasons. I had an allergic reaction and a huge, itchy rash from the Chloraprep they used to place my port. So, I was still on Benadryl at that point. It was the second day of my period, and I had mere ounces of energy. I had been to my plastic surgeon the day before, and he scared the pants off of me. There is a segment of the incision from surgery on my right breast that hasn't healed properly and the skin is slightly separated and open. (Ahh!) He said he may have to remove the tissue expander from that side if it becomes exposed, which is a possibility. Anyway, I was freaking out a bit about it, wondering how he could perform this surgery while I'm on chemo, and how could it possibly heal... so I decided to postpone until Monday.

I couldn't be happier with my decision to wait a few days. My incision has made a slight improvement (though it's far from healed). I have a thousand times more energy, my rash is gone, the port is almost completely healed. I am off Benadryl. So, yesterday was the day. After a stack of paperwork, fire and brimstone, and an interrogation session with the same questions I've already been asked thousands of times... Are you pregnant? Do you have a living will? Do you have mental problems?... yes, you are making me crazy with all these forms! Just give me the damn chemo already!

They gave me a nice dose of happy juice and I was on my way, high as a kite. We would have watched a movie, had my mother not been in charge of the selection, so we'll have to be better prepared for next time. Luckily, they have a pretty nice setup there with a TV and a recliner. It was like being at a spa, and there was even a masseuse who gave me an amazing head and shoulder massage. I was in ecstasy.

So, I felt fine, ate a delicious spaghetti dinner homemade by my loving grandparents. Celal and I went for a leisurely walk around the hood just to boost my energy. Not long afterward, some slight nausea set in, and I was pooped and pale as a ghost. I lay down around 9:30pm and was out after one of my mom's special foot massages. (Is the past tense of lie lay? That verb is so confusing.) I woke up a few times, but had some nausea around 6am, ate a banana, and passed out again. My color is now back and I'm up and about as usual... I still have my hair, and haven't vomited yet so all-in-all I'm a happy camper. A six-month chemo camper. I'll try to be more diligent about keeping a log of my trip, and still working on those photos...

Hasta luego!




4 comments:

  1. Hi Jen... It was great to finally meet you in person at Applebees! Yeah, I was the idiot that tried to hug you... so sorry... I blame your mother LOL! Anyway, I just wanted you to know that YOU inspire me every day. I never thought a 29 year old (that I didn't give birth to)would be such a part of my thoughts and prayers and how I look at life on a daily basis. Once you have kicked cancer in the ass... I expect a hug :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thinking of you every day, jen. hang in there<3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was so happy to see your entry today Jen! I check everyday and night. I am so proud of how strong you are. You have been so brave!!! I want you to know that even though I have never met you, I think and talk about you everyday. You are an inspiration and I hope to meet you real soon! xoxooxxo Melissa :) (your mom's lunch buddy)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just for the record. The reason lay and lie are confusing is their past tenses.
    The past tense of lay is laid.
    The past tense of lie is lay.
    There is a first time for everything, so the saying goes. I remember
    very well many of your firsts. The first time you rolled over on your
    own...you were wearing pale yellow PJs with a collar trimmed in white
    lace. (Maybe that's why yellow is your favorite color and you love
    shirts with collars:) I can recall, as if it were yesterday, the first
    "real" word you spoke..."flower"...Ok more like "wower", but it was
    close enough for me. Then there was the first time I let you cross
    the street on your own. I held my breath as I watched from the laundry
    room window to make sure you remembered our 100 lessons on looking
    right and left, and right again before taking off. Before I knew it
    the big yellow bus was carting you off for your first day of
    school...you looked so cute; red corduroy pants, an embroidered apple
    on your long-sleeve white shirt, a button down red sweater and
    Strawberry Shortcake lunchbox. It was just a year ago when I first saw
    you in a wedding dress. The vision is still so vivid in my mind's eye
    along with so many other firsts throughout the years. Yes, I've
    cried, laughed, worried and enjoyed many of your firsts. However, I've
    never been more proud of you than how you handled your first day of
    chemo. I Love You

    ReplyDelete