Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Banana Bread

The banana bread was edible, and somewhat good! I need to work on the recipe a bit because I overcompensated in the adjustments of the butter / flour when I added the agave, and it ended up drying out and browning too much. I am also not used to using a dark loaf pan (I use glass) so that may have contributed to the browning. I am still hopeful for the next batch! If I ever perfect it, I'll be sure to post the recipe. For now, here is the original recipe in all it's buttery sugary glory.

Banana Bread

3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 1/8 cup sugar
1 cup mashed overripe (or ripe) banana
2 eggs, room temperature
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt

Preheat the oven to 325F (162C). Combine flour, baking soda, and salt in a bowl, and whisk together. Butter a loaf pan. Set aside.

Cream the butter in a large bowl for about one minute. Add the sugar, and continue to cream for two minutes. Add the eggs and vanilla extract and mix for about two minutes so the eggs get a little fluffy. Mix in the mashed banana until well incorporated.

Add the dry ingredients to the banana mixture, and stir by hand until just incorporated. Do not overmix. Pour the batter into the loaf pan, and bake for about 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. The bread will have a dark brown crust. Let the banana bread cool overnight before eating.

1 comment:

  1. mmm my favorite, banana bread! Marlette makes a mean banana bread.. I think she found the recipe somewhere on foodnetwork.com, it is amaaazing

    ReplyDelete