Monday, July 6, 2009

And I finally got a bicycle

Due to popular demand - popularity based solely on the six previous comments - I am back in business. For today. So, I got bored with writing the blog. There hasn't been much going on medically and I didn't want to just blah blah blah my way through just to put up some words. Sometimes you feel like writing, and sometimes you don't. Today is a semi-feel-like-writing day. A lot has happened in the past few weeks. We went on a getaway to Gainesville and Savannah. It was super! I hadn't been back to Gainesville for about three years (wow, that long?), and there wasn't anyone in particular that warranted a visit. I just wanted to bring Celal to my last real home in the States - I lived there eight years! - and give an overview tour. We stayed at a great B&B, Sweetwater Branch Inn. So cute! And we got a great deal since we did everything last minute. And who doesn't love a good deal? (I'm quite the cheapskate these days.) We ate delish sushi at Dragonfly, the best sushi on the planet. I didn't have any raw fish (except the roe) and I didn't dip in soy, if ya'll are wondering. Must eat Godzilla roll. Heaven in your mouth. "Smoked eel, crab, cream cheese, cucumber, scallions, and roe, topped with slices of avocado and strawberry." And the crab wontons.

Savannah was the charming darling we had imagined, and boy did we eat our way through that place... I had reflux after a few meals and my Nexium had a big sad face on it every one of those days. Those southerners know how to cook up some good fixins. Sadly, the place we stayed there was shiteous and unromantic, and the staff were full-on twilight zone freaks. However, it had a great location a stone's throw from the Mercer house (Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil) and Forsyth Park. And it was also a good deal.

My faves in Savannah... the trees, depression glass windows, the groomed and ungroomed ivy on the building and walls and steps, Leopold's ice cream shop, a funny eight-foot-unicycle comedian that put on an amazingly hilarious show (one of his milder jokes: "Sir, is that your wife or are you on a business trip?"), socialite southerners in weddings, Baptist quartets, the historical architecture, and delicious grits and seafood.

Anywho, for those still paying attention to my treatment, I am finishing my last lap of the first half of chemo!! Cue the confetti!! Today was my last dose of AC chemo (adriamycin, cytoxan) -which was the regiment for the first three months - and my second segment of the treatment (also will be three months) will begin at the end of this month. July 27th to be exact. So, I am almost halfway there! Yes, I am really this excited about almost being halfway there.

I did take some Savannah photos, but you see, I'm out of practice... I will not be lazy and I'll put some up in a jiffy. Please don't judge me.

P.S. - Anonymous commenter, please identify yourself! :)

1 comment:

  1. wouldn't you like to know :)

    Nice to see that your back in action... I check your blog daily so don't slack!

    ReplyDelete